Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Balancing Mind, Body, Spirit and Heart


I have known, for as long as I can remember, how important it is to live a balanced life. I remind my 16 year old son that no matter how busy we are, we can live a balanced life. He is often overwhelmed by his schedule. He manages to do well in balancing except he doesn't like homework. So he doesn't do it until it becomes a crises. I tell him that balancing our lives requires sacrifice. He doesn't like that those sacrifices include eliminating video games, and tv. We can do everything we want to do, just not at the same time.


When I used to think of balance, I would always think in terms of mind, body, and spirit. I am always in the process of learning knew things like drawing with colored pencils or learning about people who have impacted the world like Winston Churchill. I am getting back into shape physically (I am just a few pounds shy of my ideal weight) and it is important for me to study the scriptures personally and as a family; as well as have personal, family, and companion prayer. But there is one more aspect of balance I have forgotten.


I received a copy of the Utah Valley magazine in the mail the other day. Stephen R Covey was on the front cover. I am a huge fan of his and have read several of his books like 7 Habit of Highly Effective People and First Things First. I own his the 8th Habbit, but have not been able to read it yet. I was excited to read what he had to say. He talked about the mind, body, spirit and to my surprise, the heart. Except for the occasional helping someone out or visiting teaching, I have completely lost my focus on being compassionate and serving others.


My husband and I were waiting at the accountants office the other day. I had a doctor appointment scheduled for that same day. I was a little stressed about making it to the doctor's appointment because I had waited 2 years to see this particular doctor. Yes two years. We were sitting in the foyer of the accountant's office for 45 minutes. The accountant's secretary came out after realizing we were there and showed us into another, more comfortable waiting area. She apologized that we had to wait in the foyer. She said, "If I had known you were here, I would have brought you back to this more confortable sofa sooner." I replied, "Whether it's waiting in the foyer or waiting on this couch, it is still waiting." She smiled and then asked us if we wanted a drink of something. When we both said "no" she left. Nathan looked right at me and said only one word. "Wow." I looked at him and said, "Was I too harsh?" He said, "Oh yes." We spent another 10 minutes waiting for the accountant and talking about how I have forgotten how to "be nice".


Knowing I needed to work on the 4th aspect of balance (love), I went to Stephen R Covey's website/blog. I learned a very important lesson about love and service. When we work on that aspect of our lives, we are less likely to say something that isn't nice. I love this website. In fact I signed up as a member of a learning community in developing a paradigm shift in my own life. It is free. I am looking forward to more favorably balancing these four areas in my life and perhaps encourage others along the way. Check it out and perhaps sign up with the rest of us 80,000 people who are hoping to leave a great legacy. http://www.stephenrcovey.com/community

4 comments:

Smith Family said...

I love reading your blog. It's always so inspiring. I don't think you were to harsh. But then again I think I have lost my harshness sensor as well. :-) I'll have to check that website out I guess.

Crazy Mom of 6 said...

I have to echo Tracey's words. I do love reading your blog. It helps me in my own personal life to live a better balanced life. Emma recently actually got his 8 habits book from the library read it and was so excited to tell me all about it. I am going to go over to the website and check it out. thanks for helping us all live better balanced lives!

Unknown said...

Hi,

You've got a really good blog. Many people don't realize what mind power can do to one's accomplishment Begin directing the amazing power of the mind and subconscious mind to produce the life you want with our Mind Power training program. Get the Cost-free Mp3, E-Course and CD these days and commence directing the power of the mind and subconscious mind to build the lifestyle you would like - in 7-simple methods.

Unknown said...

Hi,

You've an extremely wonderful blog. To turn out to be a productive person the simple issue should be to have positive thinking. Take pleasure in Sky Rocketing Achievement with Turbo charged Positive Affirmations... Grow Positive Thinking So You can Remove Anxiety From your Life, Raise Your Self-Confidence and Program Yourself For Lifetime Accomplishment!

 

Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates